Re: An answer to metadata, complete.

Oh yes, useing the "file" program for defaults is the right way to go,
I agree, but that does not negate anything I said. The use of "file" would
only work for system defaults, user setting on single files would have no use
for it. Now if your stating that haveing control down to a single file is not
needed, well it's an opinion, and in my view a short sited one. No ofence
if thats not what you ment. Personaly, a gui without true metadata, on
a per file basis, is not only less functional, but almost useless. Metadata
IS the only use I have for gui file management, with out it, I'll take bash
any day. I like gui's, but a gui must be good enough to exceed what I'm
already useing. eg, X + many xterms. And you'll also note that, metadata
without the ability to keep track of it out side it's control library(1), is
as useless as no metadata, imho.

1: eg, you have metadata atached to a file, go into bash and "mv" the file,
some where else. Databases alone can not handle this, but takeing from
libvfs's use of LD_PRELOAD to over ride basic libc functions, with extened
versions that can be used to track the files, and keep databases updated.
Contrary to your belife, this is not a costly system, as any desktop that
has metadata in a database (CDE,dfm,dare I mention windows? I feel dirty...)
do this anyway, but at the library level. This means that there databases get
corupted. Gnome, with out this system, will end up useing user level databases
anyway, as sevel developers have agreed that metadata is nessessary, but
with this system, the tracking code is moved to a global state instead of a user
state, so database coruption will not be possable with the exception of system
crashes. The speed will be the same either way, but one has far greater
functionality.