Re: An answer to metadata, complete.

For the benefit of those of us who may not have a complete view of this
problem:

What's the flaws of a system that uses something like the 'file' command,
and a personal database of file-to-application mappings?  So, there is a
system-wide, gnome-wide database that says 'ascii text' types are opened
with vi, and individual users can change that to be pico if they wish?

*nix systems have a reasonably good way of identifying files already in
the 'file' utility - adding metadata to files seems a rather extravagant
way of duplicating this functionality.  Granted, you could maybe gain a
smidgen more control for individual files vs. classes of files, but it
seems a fairly high level of complexity to add for a small gain in
flexibility, to my untrained eye at least...

I also would have thought that using something that already exists (ie.
magic numbers) means you're more likely to be able, as a user, to link
the behaviour under gnome into the behaviour of other, non-gnome tools
- so if I want a 'view file' command at a standard shell prompt that
calls a different viewer for different file types, basing it on existing
*nix utilities like file is a hell of a lot easier and more portable than
basing it on a gnome-specific 'metadata' system.

KevinL
(running Linux and multiple flavours of SunOS, with multiple WMs and multiple
desktops:)