Re: An answer to metadata, complete.

Hrm.

The problem with the LD_PRELOAD option is that, if you're using it to cover
silly things like people 'mv'ing the files, you have to have the LD_PRELOAD
in existance for _everything_ you do - that's not viable in some environments
(eg. mine, where we have NFS-mounted heterogenous systems - I'd need the
LD_PRELOAD to be not only in all of my own environments on all of the machines
I log into (with the library installed on all of them, across multiple
architectures and OS'es), but also in the environment of all my cow-orkers,
who are likely to manipulate 'my' files.

If this stuff is going to be integrated into gnome, please make sure it
_always_ happens with the option to switch the metadata stuff off and still
work as well as it can - 'cause if it breaks because we can't LD_PRELOAD,
then it's useless to people in non-trivial environments.
And if it works without the preload, make sure it will re-synch if the
preload comes back on - 'cause there are cases where I'll want to use the
preload on my own desktop, but can't on the main server, but I'm manipulating
the same files, for example (or, another example, your sysadmin shuffles some
of the files you're using, and you've got preload, and he hasn't - universities
are a place where this sort of thing may happen).

That's my 2 cents :)

KevinL