Re: emacs-style user interface

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> I just tried to implement an emacs-style user interface based on
> gnome-mdi - see
> the proposal at http://www.jimpick.com/gnome/ui-proposal/
>
> But before I continue I want to ask if someone is already working on
> this?

I've started on a tiny part of it, allowing people to use a minibuffer
instead of dialogs. Look at gnome-appbar.h, gnome-app-util.h. Basically
the minibuffer widget still needs writing, my hack of a GtkEntry doesn't
work right. This isn't really an Emacs interface, but could eventually be
a part of one. I'd encourage you to extend gnome-appbar for your
minibuffer, and continue support for the minibuffer instead of dialogs
even in apps that don't have MDI/buffers.

Another cool thing would be a simple framework for using
minibuffer-typeable commands throughout an application. e.g.
an application should be able to define an 'open-file' action, and the
library should handle making it possible to type open-file in the
minibuffer, bind a shortcut to open-file, etc. This could use guile but
wouldn't have to.

Havoc