Re: libxml?

Quoting Chris Knight (cknite@danville.net):
> What does the xml lib do? Does it only parse xml or does it actually display
> xml for you?

 Parsing + building of a tree structure (not optionnal yet, will be optionnal
in the next version).

> If it doesn't display it, then how does it have dependencies with Gnome? Could

 Doesn't display, there is no strict link to gnome, actually it is developped
as a standalone library, but I expect to provide the best possible interfaces
for Gnome (or any Corba based environment).
  The development CVS base it at W3C in the XML tree, I will update
the gnome-xml CVS server as soon as I get another stable version.
      http://dev.w3.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb

> it be
> abstracted to work with any program and not just Gnome? (Also, I really doubt
> libxml only displays xml because to my understanding xml, unlike html, isn't
> used just for display purposes but is more general to allow you to store
> information that isn't necessarily
> meant for visual interaction)

  Yep you need far more than a parser to display XML (or any other
generic structured document format). Check CSS and XSL for more informations
on the subject at:
    http://www.w3.org/Style/

  Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,