strange behaviour during compiling gnome-lib-0.26

Hello,

two strange things happen during compiling:

1)  the linker doese't find the
    variable program_name which is defined in support/error.c
    like this:

   #if HAVE_PROGRAM_INVOCATION_NAME || _LIBC
     /* In the GNU C library, there is a predefined variable for this.  */
     # define program_name program_invocation_name
     # include <errno.h>
   #else
     /* The calling program should define program_name and set it to the
        name of the executing program.  */
     extern char *program_name;
   #endif

   System:
      Machine hardware:   sun4u
      OS version:         5.5.1
      Processor type:     sparc
      Hardware:           SUNW,Ultra-2

   libc:
   1154280 Oct 15  1997 libc.a
        11 Oct 15  1997 libc.so -> ./libc.so.1*
    664100 Oct 15  1997 libc.so.1*

   which version of which lib do I have to install for testing (I'm not
   the sys-admin, so I would prefere some work to get it run with the
   current libs - I would help, but I have now no good idea)

2) There are for every subdirectory in gnome-lib-0.26 which lib uses the
   some functions from the support-lib such error-message:

   snprintf                            ../libgnomeui/.libs/libgnomeui.so
   vsnprintf                           ../support/.libs/libgnomesupport.so
   ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
   .libs/ted_demo

   if I run the make a second time the error-message disappears.
   (at home on linux this error doesn't eappear, there I use
    gnome-lib-0.25, with some liiitel bugfixes)

By

Jens