Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> >     (1)Are you trying to  build COM ("GOM"? ;-) _on top_ of Corba? What
> > would be the benifit over *just* using Corba?
>
> More or less yes.
>
> We get the best of both worlds:
>
> 	- We get CORBA's automation for free.
>
> 	- There are lots of COM books and resources available and it
> 	  is very simple to use.

There's also a third advantage, it will make it that much easier for
Windows developers to port to GNOME/GTK+.  I certainly think this is a
good thing.

My first question is, it looks like we are going to have CORBA under
anything having to do with objects.  According to you there will be a COM
layer available above that.  I would assume that developers more
comfortable with CORBA can use CORBA, and COM developers can user COM,
yes?

My second question goes back to the original post of this thread, if we
can do this with a COM layer over CORBA, wouldn't it be possible to put a
KOM/OP layer over CORBA?  I would assume this would be non-trivial, but I
am sure there are enough developers concerned about interoperability to
put some hours into making this happen.

-Gleef