Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

Hi there,

>> As I understand, Gnome uses Corba (Orbit) as its component model -- so
why
>> mess with COM in the first place?
>
>There will be no COM; CORBA replaces COM.  We will be conceptually
>similar to OLE, with a CORBA instead of a COM substrate.

Of course, you're right, during a temporary brain disorder I confused COM &
OLE.
Or was I just plain drunk?! Naahhh...

I'm very interested what you exactly mean by "conceptually", Miguel de Icaza
suggests reading about ActiveX, OLE2 and COM, so I guess Gnome/OLE stuff
will be
pretty much "inspired" by that stuff... Will we have stuff like
IDispatch/IUnknown in it?

I just hope that your object model does not copy the limitations that COM
implicitly
puts on OLE. And again, I would like the object model to resemble (in API)
Corba,
and not OLE/COM, so you can easily migrate your local Gnome/OLE components
to distributed
Gnome/Corba/Orbit components.

But hey, this is just my 2cts

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema.