Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

At 8:27 PM -0400 8/6/98, Brian Bruns wrote:
>Was there any consideration to using OpenDoc? I'm not really versed in it,
>but it was supposedly superior to COM/OLE2 and IBM has released its source
>code (over SOM I think) which shouldn't take too much adaptation to work
>over generic CORBA.  There is also some talk of it being resurrected in
>Java.

OpenDoc was rather neat, but it was *huge*. It tried, like Java, to
implement half of an operating system API over the native system to make
code more portable. Other companies (such as Be) have demonstrated that you
can get 75% of the benefits of OpenDoc from a 100K library, which is fairly
impressive.

So, if Miguel's figured out how to rip The Evil Which is COM<tm> out of
OLE2 and replace it with CORBA, I'd be quite interested in seeing the
result. If the APIs are as simple as the ones for writing panel applets, it
would be *very* slick.

Cheers,
Eric