Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

Hi there,

Thanks for your clarification!

>> So, I guess you mean option (1), GOM on top of Corba, this would still
give
>> "philosophic" problems combining the COM & Corba models.

>We are figuring those out, dont worry.

I hope you are able to. This is pretty hard stuff to do _right_ (at least: I
think this is pretty complex stuff). I'm just wondering how much of COM you
need to reimplement to get the desired Gnome/OLE. Do we need stuff like
IDispatch
etc. GUIDs? I hope at least that you can use CORBA/IDL.

I still wonder if I will be programming CORBA-like with some ActiveX-ish
influence,
or if I will be doing IDispatch stuff without even noticing there's Corba
underneath...
Well, you probably don't know the answer yet either...;-)
I do think GNOME/OLE and GNOME/CORBA should have similar APIs, like COM and
DCOM.
This makes programming and distributing your local components _a lot_
easier....

Finally, I think you are doing a great job for Linux and Gnome,
and taking ideas even from our Redmondian friends is really good. Good ideas
don't
care who invented them! However, we should be cautious just to take the
_good_ ideas...

Good luck!

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
is really good.