Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Was there any consideration to using OpenDoc? I'm not really versed in it,
> > but it was supposedly superior to COM/OLE2 and IBM has released its source
> > code (over SOM I think) which shouldn't take too much adaptation to work
> > over generic CORBA.  There is also some talk of it being resurrected in
> > Java.
>
> OpenDoc features over OLE2 (when I read the IBM critique) were pretty
> simplistic, and they were nothing that could not be added to an
> OLE2-like framework.
>
> Apparently, it is very easy to program application with OpenDoc if you
> happened to have a foundation library (as you would be inheriting the
> implementation from the C++ code).
>
> OLE2 is made up of about 30 interfaces, OpenDoc is made up of about 90
> intefaces and the source code that IBM released is not usable by us
> nor is it complete (you cant build it).

This is an important aspect. IMHO its very important to separate the core
mechanism
in Corba, MS Com from created Interface and components using this mechanisms.

These libraries (OpenDoc,.etc are build "using" a Component Technology.

So I thing we should try to separate these two issues from each other in our
discussions.