Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

I'd like to know just how many of you who wish to pattern the Gnome object model after
COM/Active-X/OLE/whatever Microsoft wishes to call it today have ever actually used
the system rather than just reading about it in a book. I've used ActiveX and it is quite,
quite awful. No, the books do make OLE sound great, but using it is a different story. Try
it.

Look guys. This is a serious mistake. COM is NOT what you are looking for. Get yourself a
copy
of Visual C++, and create an extensive COM/OLE/Active-X program. You won't for quite a
while.
Linux and Unix in general attract programmers because, although at the surface are more
difficult
to use, are much easier on what is required from the programmer. COM requires you to learn
an entire
jungle of information, which will turn developers away from Gnome. Microsoft may be able to
have
unprogrammable systems, but we can't afford to.

Chris Knight
cknite@danville.net