Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Chris Knight wrote:

> Look guys. This is a serious mistake. COM is NOT what you are looking
> for. Get yourself a copy of Visual C++, and create an extensive
> COM/OLE/Active-X program. You won't for quite a while.  Linux and Unix
> in general attract programmers because, although at the surface are
> more difficult to use, are much easier on what is required from the
> programmer. COM requires you to learn an entire jungle of information,
> which will turn developers away from Gnome. Microsoft may be able to
> have unprogrammable systems, but we can't afford to.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  I think that the OLE model in
particular is a great way to go.  No other programming model allows as
much reuse through embedding other programs, a technique which is surely
in accordance with The Unix Way.

I can't wait to read the arch doc on this.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net