library problems w/ RH5.1

Man, this is really starting to bug me.  I'm making my first real attempt
at upgrading my RH5.1 box (with gnome v0.13) to v0.20 this morning.  I'm
getting all sorts of problems with libraries, specifically libgdk
(undefined reference to 'gdk_imlib_best_color_get' from libgnomeui.so) and
gtk (/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit).  Here's the
libraries (all installed from RPMs) I've got on my machine:
	glib-1.0.1-2
	imlib-1.4-10
	gtk+-1.0.4-1
	libjpeg6a-6a-2
	libjpeg-6b-5
	gnome-libs-0.20-1
	gnome-core-0.20-2

All of these packages were taken from either ftp.gnome.org.  The
underlying problem is that the internal library version numbers aren't
consistent.  The libjpeg stuff's a cluster-<insert favorite 4-letter word
here> to begin with, and gtk and family are following suit.  It seems to
me that if something changes between gtk+-1.0.1 and gtk+-1.0.5, ldd should
show that a program linked to the new version can't find the proper
linkage in the older version.  Instead, I get this crap about unresolved