Re: Wheeled Mouse

"Haukur Hreinsson" <hawk@london.is> writes:

> I agree. Additionally, I find scrollbars just generally ugly because they
> destroy symmetry. They also take up space better used for content. Vertical
> and horizontal scrollbars for the same canvas are always a lame solution.
> You need to aim for and drag not one but two narrow and possibly very short
> scroll handles. There's gotta be a better solution. Are we using the third
> button for anything vital? Howsabout using it for scrolling in all GNOME
> apps (probably all gtk+ apps)?

Third button (i.e., right button) tends to be used for a drop down
menu, so making it scroll would be very confusing, I suspect.
Middle-button drag would be OK.  The Gimp already does that, and many
Tk applications (like the excellent TkMan, which I may have mentioned
before) do this, since it happens to be easy in Tcl/Tk.

That's not so convenient for people with 2-button mice, but it
wouldn't hurt them, since the scrollbars would still be there.