Re: Memory Issues with gtk, gnome panel, etc

On Tue, 04 Aug 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Eric Kidd wrote:
>>
>> So, this doesn't seem to be a Gnome problem, although Gnome might make it
>> worse. The adventurous can work around this problem by running a
>> beta-release window manager which crashes every few days, preventing memory
>> leaks from getting too large. =)
>>

>Mine is sometimes blowing up over 100 megs in only a few hours.  FWIW I
>just discovered that gtcd seems to cause this reliably. If it's running
>the X server's size steadily increases. So whatever it asks the X server
>to do is what the X server doesn't do properly.
>
>I'm going to try not running gtcd and see if the problem goes away.
>
>Havoc

I agree that gtcd certainly seems to cause a memory leak. I ran gtcd with
no other gnome apps (in fact, under KDE), left it running over my lunch hour,
and came back to find the swap space thrashing furiously and interaction
impossibly slow - I had to hit the reset button.