Memory Issues with gtk, gnome panel, etc

Greeting Gnome Users, Developers and Bill Gates ;-)

I'll try to make this quick. I'll divide this up into three questions:

	1)  I'm not a coder, well, of any serious level, but I've noticed
there are some nasty memory problems when running Gnome. To be more
specific, I believe it's a GTK problem more-so than a ambigious
statement like 'its gnome'..  For example, Today i loaded up
Xwindows(aka, xfree86, Xfree, X, etc) with Gnome session running.
Initially Xfree had a memory size of about 8500k .. which is
reasonable for me, my gnome panel is loaded with wierd pixmaps, my
root window background is a large pixmap, lots of colours, etc.  But
after the first 90 minutes, X is now consuming over 24000k of memory.
How can i reclaim some of that memory ? Where did it go? Is it
possible to free it up ? I'm not running an inconcievable number of
applications, just a few right now, 5 or 6 gtk apps. During that 90
minutes i was a little rough with it though, loading and unloading of
gtk clients, everything from Genius Calculator to The Gimp.
	The other day after running gnome for about 2 days, i was curious to
see why my system was so darned slow, hard drive was thrashing about
like a maniac.. well, X was consuming over 84 megs of ram... Its nice
to know that i can run the gnome-panel, gmc, etc for 2 or 3 days, nice
work on the bugs guys, but 84 megs is a bit much to ask of anybody.
	Why is this happening, is it gtk ? is it some gnome app in
particular, like the panel, applets, etc?

	2) George, nice work on the panel.. you might wanna take a look at
Dan K's minbar idea, interesting stuff.  Just a quick comment, when
adding a Menu item to the panel such as "Utilities" , if i add that as
a Menu to the panel (not a drawer), the icon cannot be changed
unfortunately .. this problem will be rectified in the future ? Oh,,
there are some nasty bugs when adding a Drawer to the panel that has
too many items in it, your probably already aware of those.

	3) Uhm, forgot already, owell ;-)

Farewell My friends! Be good.

Mozart@windsor.igs.net
BobSoros@yahoo.com