Re: GNOME in the press

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Dirk Luetjens wrote:

> To: gnome-list@gnome.org
> Subject: GNOME in the press
> From: Dirk Luetjens <dirk@luedi.oche.de>
>
> Hello
>
> today I read in a german magazin (ix) an article about CORBA, especially
> mico CORBA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the authors where two of the
> involved developers. I wondered that they mentioned KDE as the only free
> project which will support mico CORBA in the future.
>
> I sent a small email to the note to the newspaper and the responsible
> author about the mico implementation in GNOME and ask about articles
> concearning GNOME. The answers only stated that such an article is planed
> for this summer.

Some weeks ago, I asked the German magazine ct whether they could report
about the license problems with Qt and about the GNOME project - but they
did not yet reply - seems they are not interested.

> I'm not sure, but in Germany I think people drive crazy when the hear KDE.
> Ok, the main development group are germans, but it is mentioned here,
> mentioned there, even whene it has nothing to do with it. I don't know

I think, here in Germany, many people use SuSE Linux - and SuSE comes with
KDE. When they use Linux, they use KDE.

So it'll really be time to make some publicity especially here in Germany.
It's time to tell the people that Qt/KDE is bad and *why* it is. At the
moment, GNOME is not yet very useful for end users, but GNOME makes great
steps in development - and it's time to tell the public about that.

But I don't know if German magazines are interested to do this. When they
report about Linux, they want to reach people coming from DOS/Windows and
they want to give them a running system which they can use. Whenever you
look into a german magazine which reports about Linux, it only reports
about software that is fully functional.

> about other countries, but I think it is time for more publicity. I'm not
> a journalist, nor a good writer. So perhaps someone else is interested in
> this. For Germany I think there are the following interesting magazins:
>
> ct		: www.ct.heise.de
> ix		: www.ix.heise.de
> LinuxMagazin	: www.linux-magazin.de
>
> The latter one had a serie on KDE programming recently. I will do my very
> best in writing readers notes to the author.

These magazines should really start telling more about the spirit of
GNU/Linux - about the GNU license - and that there are a lot of people
working hard on making Linux what it is like. People should know that what
they see is the result of a long and hard work - and that there are still
people working on it ...

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above