Re: Icons of program

On 22 Apr, Jim Pick shouted:
->
->  raster@redhat.com writes:
->
->  > ->  It just struck me a few minutes ago that what I have been advocating is
->  > ->  really a Corba Service.  It's an interface available for use by any
->  > ->  application.
->  >
->  > corba isnt going anywhere.. e have a half-function c++ onyl bindigns
->  > orb.. it's missing lots of important stuff.. we can talk abotu corba
->  > all we want.. but we can't USE it til we have an orb that WORKS and
->  > WORKS WELL.
->
->  It's good to admit that we don't have an ORB that works well.  We can
->  still code stuff in an object-oriented manner (and chuck it in a
->  library), so we can turn it into a CORBA object implementation when we
->  do get a good ORB.
->
->  The only thing CORBA buys you vs. a shared library is the ability for
->  your method to be called from more languages without having to hack
->  individual bindings.

It also buys you "ipc" - ie calling remote procesdures from an already
running app - not just a shared lib... but the CROBA Q has ben thrown
abotu so much and we still have mico whihc perhaps is the best of a lot
of not so good solutions - I think for now we shoudl foget abotu
writing corba iterfaces to our code and just get programs/libs/apps
done - we can throw corba ontop oneday when an ORB matures. If an orbe
never happens someone will come up with a replacement system. If not I
don't think we'll die - the world has lasted a long time without
corba.. it can keep going for a while.. :)

->  Cheers,
->
->   - Jim
->