Re: An alternative to MDI

> ->  what we need is some sort of a sticky hint ... (maybe a hint to have the
> ->  window be ignored in pager display and it should not show up on the
> ->  window list ...) .... maybe a PANEL hint :) ... or a combination of
> ->  a few hints ...
>
> there is on ICCCM compliant way fo doing this. If we do this GNOME is
> goign to become WM dependant as GNOME will need to create new hints a
> special GNOME WM understands to do this.

wasn't this the consensus we came to? ... maybe add a few hints to make
gnome work better? ....

override redirect just leaves too much to be desired ... and just doesn't
work with many window manager functions ... override redirect is for
temporary menus, not for panels which stay on screen ...

whatever the hints are they should be general enough to be usable by
other projects then gnome ...

also there should be a test for the hint in gnome-libs ... so it could
say use override redirect if the sticky hint isn't supported/honored ...
therefore it would be WM independent ... but would work much better if
the WM supported the hint ...

I think gnome hints should only complement existing hints ... and should
have a workaround if not found to really keep it WM independent ... the
workaround might be ugly or not work really nice ... but it would make
it functional ...(in teh case of panel it would use override redirect)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: