Re: An alternative to MDI

> ->  Also, what would happen to applications such as the Panel? Would the
> ->  user be able to choose to have it appear on all screens private and
> ->  public or would it only appear on public screens?
>
> no... the panel would exist everywhere.. it bypasses the WM using the
> override redirect flag. The WM has no say in this.

and it's one of the most annoying things about it too .... override
redirect is not the way to go .... what we need is an undecorated window
that is "sticky" so that the wm knows about it .... otherwise things
like automatic placement just don't work .... override redirect is not
the best way to do this ...

what we need is some sort of a sticky hint ... (maybe a hint to have the
window be ignored in pager display and it should not show up on the
window list ...) .... maybe a PANEL hint :) ... or a combination of
a few hints ...

override redirect works well for things that don't stay on screen long
and require immediate user action .... since the WM doesn't know about
them ... the panel is not such an app .. the wm should know about it ...
for example imagine the panel is on the top of the screen and the
wm keeps putting windows in the top .... then the panel will
be at the same spot .... annoying ....

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: