Re: opening Gnome to multiple (windowing) systems

On Fri, 10 Apr, 1998 at 04:12:37PM +0200, Yiyus set free these words:

> >Thus, and as Qt is after all a very good library, wouldn't it be
> >possible to make Gnome a platform that would allow anyone to choose its own
> >GUI lib (wxGTK, GTK++ , GTK-- or Harmony) for its Gnome app?
> >
> >Wouldn't be possible to create facility for developpers to port
> >their KDE  softs from close-KDE to an open-Gnome platform.

[snip]

> OK, so what you say is that you want KDE for Gnome (or something so). I like

I think he's actually asking if the underlying toolkit makes a difference and
how easy it would be to change the underlying toolkit.  (Or maybe that's just
my own thinking. :)  At the moment, I think gnome is rather tied to gtk+, but
I don't think it needs to be.  I seem to recall a statement on one of the web
pages that gnome should theoretically include programs which followed certain
guidelines.  I don't seem to be able to find that list anywhere at the moment,
though -- maybe it was edited out at some point?  I think it would be a good
idea to generate a separate topic for it somewhere:

What Things Must a Gnome app include/not include?
Look and feel (conformance to the Style Guide)
Licensing? (must be opensource?)
CORBA (specific variations?)

The toolkit used would need to be featureful enough to conform to the "Look
and Feel," but it shouldn't necessarily have to be gtk+....

Also -- if someone is genuinely interested in making gnome run with a
different toolkit, we should think about what the easiest way might be.  Port
gnome-libs to a different toolkit perhaps?

-Toshio

P.S. Shouldn't wxGTK and Harmony have links under the Gnome References and
Links page? (http://www.gnome.org/links.shtml)
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature