Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation (fwd)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Andy Tai wrote:

> > >                        The KDE Free Qt Foundation
> > >
> > >   Should  Troll Tech ever discontinue the Qt Free Edition for any rea-
> > >   son including, but not limited to, a buy-out of Troll Tech, a merger
> > >   or  bankruptcy,  the  latest  version of the Qt Free Edition will be
> > >   released under the BSD license.
> > >
> > >   Furthermore, should Troll Tech cease continued development of Qt, as
> > >   assessed  by  a  majority  of  the  KDE  Free Qt Foundation, and not
> > >   release a new version at least every 12 months, the  Foundation  has
> > >   the right to release the Qt Free Edition under the BSD License.
>
> Under the BSD license?   That will kill KDE since one cannot link BSD code with GPLed code, and KDE itself is GPLed.   They should use LGPL instead.  What are
> they thinking?  Also the BSD license will kill Troll's commerical products too, since people won't pay if they can use the BSD version in any commerical
> products.   Troll Tech should reconsider the choice of the BSD license.

You can if you use a BSD license without the publicity requirement.
The linux kernel contains BSD licensed code, you know...

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).