Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, David Faure wrote:
>
> > The file ~/.kde/share/config/kfmrc contains :
> > # KDE Config File
> > [Paths]
> > Trash=/home/dfaure/Desktop/Trash/      - the Trash, on the Desktop.
> > Desktop=/home/dfaure/Desktop/          - the Desktop dir, with
> >                                          anything on the desktop
> > Templates=/home/dfaure/Templates/      - for new files
> > Autostart=/home/dfaure/Autostart/      - apps started when kfm is started.
>
> Ewww, winbloat format configure files.  I'm not the kind that thinks that
> if m$ does it it must be bad, but the bloatOS configure files really are
> ugly...

pardon my abruptness, but is that uglier than anything else? it has
sectioned topics, individual options, and it's simple enough that anyone
can figure it out. take a look at a chunk of my WindowMaker window
attributes file, and keep in mind that windowmaker is *VERY* fast and
efficient:

{
  Logo.WMDock = {Icon = GNUstep.xpm;};
  Logo.WMFiend = {Icon = Cone.xpm;};
  Logo.WMPanel = {Icon = GNUstep.xpm;};
  "*" = {Icon = monitor.xpm;};
  XTerm = {Icon = monitor.xpm;};
  NXTerm = {Icon = monitor.xpm;};
  gimp = {Icon = gimp.xpm;};
  xcalc = {Icon = "HP-16C-48.xpm";};

how in the hell is anyone without C parsing knowldedge supposed to know
what's going on here? learn C parsing?? with the many IQ ranges out there,
i wouldn't advise it. you can expect other unix config files (none of
which are standardized) to be just as confusing. you don't even *WANT* to
see my ~/.emacs config.
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |