Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

> My only comment would be to suggest that the implementation of this
> should
> use VFS support and use a single .gnomerc to specify a URL to the rest.

> This also opens the possibility of having multiple configurations that
> could be swapped by changing a single URL.  Additionally, if any of the
> 'extended attribute' functionality discussed on this list earlier ever
> comes to exist, I'm betting the VFS will be at it's core.  I feel it is
> likely that this directory heirarchy would make use of such features.
>
> Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> >
> >         I suggest we make a standard Directory where _any_ GNOME-compliant
> >
> >         Here are a couple of examples:
> >
> > ...under $HOME/Desktop:
> >
> > Desktop/
> > |-- Defaults
> > |-- Prefs
> > |-- Startup
> > `-- Themes

 Well, I, as someone mentioned it already, it is close to what they
have in KDE:

Standart ~/Desktop :

Desktop
|-- Autostart/
|-- Template/
|   |-- Device.kdelnk
|   |-- Ftpurl.kdelnk
|   |-- MimeType.kdelnk
|   |-- Program.kdelnk
|   |-- URL.kdelnk
|   `-- WWWUrl.kdelnk
|-- Trash/
|-- CDROM.kdelnk
`-- floppy.kdelnk

Standart ~/.kde :

.kde
`-- share/
    |-- applnk/
    |-- apps/
    |   |-- kdehelp/
    |   |   `-- history
    |   `-- kfm/
    |       |-- cache/
    |       |-- desktop
    |       |-- magic
    |       |-- pid_0.0
    |       `-- tmp/
    |-- config/
    |   |-- kbanner.kssrc
    |   |-- ...
    |   |-- ...
    |   |-- ...
    |   `-- kwmrc
    |-- icons/
    |   `-- mini/
    `-- mimelnk

That setup IS NOT CONVINIENT if you use different computers with the
same home directory. One problem (you can use KDE only on one computer
at a time, probably because of that .kde/share/apps/kfm/pid_0.0) I did
not overcome, but custom desktops for different hosts is possible.

i.  I've moved Autostart and Templates from Desktop to ~/.kde/;

ii. In startup script I link ~/.kde/share/dsktps/$HOSTNAME$DISPLAY
    directory  to ~/.kde/Desktop/ and use it as a current desktop.

It is an agly hack. The proper way to do that is to have named
desktops and hostaware setup.