CVS

I'm trying to get the most recent copy of everything from the cvs
server.
For the most part I have it figured out, but is there any way to get an
actual list of what is on the server vs just typing in module names and
crossing your fingers?  Yes, I have read the cvs man  page etc, and
looked at
the "start" page at Gnome.org.
  One comment I would like to bring up re: the getting started page.
Most of the links are to RPM's.  I have nothing against redhat
whatsoever, but
I run slakware, and would like to do things via just plain old .tar.gz
as much as I can.
Just a thought :)
RS