Netscape for Qt (fwd)

And Netscape for Gnome?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:50:50 +0200
From: info@troll.no
To: qt-announce@troll.no, qt-interest@troll.no
Subject: Netscape for Qt

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: TROLL TECH PRESENTS Qt-BASED VERSION OF NETSCAPE
NAVIGATOR 5.0

(April 6, 1998) Troll Tech today released the QtScape demonstration
program to the public. A team of seven programmers have in five days
ported to Qt the newly released Netscape Navigator web browser source
code. Qt is Troll Tech's multi-platform Graphical User Interface (GUI)
toolkit. The free QtScape is released as a "proof of concept" that Qt
as a platform provides all the functionality required for making
state-of-the-art GUI applications, as well as allowing rapid
application development.

"When Netscape Communications Corporation earlier this year announced
that it would release the source code of Communicator 5.0, we decided
that this was the perfect opportunity to show the world the
flexibility and effectiveness of our GUI toolkit" said Eirik Eng, CEO
of Troll Tech. "By giving a team of seven programmers only five days -
a "mythical man-month" - to achieve a functioning Qt port of Netscape
Navigator, we wanted to demonstrate the ease and speed of developing
graphical user interfaces with Qt."

The QtScape development team, consisting of five Troll Tech senior
engineers as well as two programmers volunteering from the free
software community. Netscape released the Communicator source code
March 31, and the team came together the day after to face an immense
task: to replace the 500 000 lines of C and C++ code in the
X-Windows/Motif and Microsoft Windows specific parts of Communicator.
Nonetheless, QtScape implements almost all the main web browser
functionality of Netscape Navigator. In some areas, the port improves
on the original: The pages are drawn noticeably faster, and the color
handling on 256-color screens is better.

"We were confident that we would achieve a satisfactory result,
although the Communicator source code was not easily penetrated" said
Haavard Nord, president of Troll Tech. "This represents definite
evidence of the power and flexibility of Qt, as well as a
demonstration of the skills of our programmers. I am very satisfied."

QtScape is available at http://www.troll.no/qtscape/.  It is presented
as a Qt demonstration program only, not a Troll Tech product. The full
source code is released under the Netscape Public License, which
allows free distribution and modification. Further information about
the release of Netscape Communicator is available at
http://www.mozilla.org.

One of the freeware developers, Kalle Dalheimer, is also available for
Qt-related contract work. He can be contacted at
kalle@dalheimer.hh.eunet.de.

Troll Tech AS is a computer software company specializing in
multi-platform C++ libraries for graphical user interfaces. Its
flagship product Qt is used as a basis for successful commercial
applications world wide. Troll Tech is located in Oslo,
Norway. Further information is available at http://www.troll.no.

Netscape, Navigator and Communicator are trademarks of Netscape
Communications Corporation. Qt is a trademark of Troll Tech AS.