Re: gnome-keyring GNOME keyring for Ubuntu/Mobile

On 2013-03-25 10:07, Stef Walter wrote:
<snip>

Dear Stef,

I hope you don't find me too awkward because I believe we have a
similar passion about what we do in this space.  I understand the
motives keeping the platform in one piece but I also think this
will make things more complicated for users which in the end
is all that really natters.  So the following should be seen
from a mobile-device-only-perspective.

Sure. I'm working on standardized key and certificate storage between
the various crypto libraries [0].

Personally I think this a waste of time for Ubuntu/Mobile.  The Android
guys will most likely do the opposite and that is making _one_ hardware-
secured crypto API show up in the mobile platform.  Although some people
insist in connecting external tokens to mobiles this is a doomed thing
due to the middleware issues.

Embedded tokens rock. External tokens suck big-time.

But certificate enrollment is out of
scope for me personally, at least for the foreseeable future.

Isn't certificate storage without enrollment like a car without gasoline
when/if external tokens essentially are out of scope?

On the other hand I'm interested in what you're doing.

I don't claim that any community or vendor must buy into _my_ take on
this subject; However, they need to come up with _some_solution_ if they
want to play.

Cheers,
Anders

[0] http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/