Re: gnome-keyring failing to read/detect user keys: initial contact

On 2010-10-12 04:06, Matt Darcy wrote:
> Ok - this is interesting and very useful, I just have my private id_dsa
> key in my .ssh directory as I don't key my public an private keys
> together on my laptop, I'll dump my public key in the same directory now
> and see if it works, I actually didn't think of this as a possible
> problem, on the remote server the .pub file is in the authorized_keys
> file and I assumed it would check to match against that rather than the
> local .pub file.

ssh effectively loads the list of public keys and then asks the remote
server which public key it would like to use.

When your id_dsa private key is encrypted, then there's no way for for
the gnome-keyring ssh agent to supply the list of keys to ssh.

Previously we had a big hack which (as a side effect) would just decrypt
all the SSH keys no matter if they were going to be used for that or not.