Subject: Re: Debug output in gnome-keyring 2.30
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:25:57 +0200
From: Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>
To: Stef Walter <stefw gnome org>
CC: Romain Francoise <rfrancoise debian org>

Le mardi 05 octobre 2010 à 11:08 -0500, Stef Walter a écrit :
> I'll add some guards around the DEBUG_PROMPT stuff so that it can only
> be enabled with --enable-debug also enabled:

Great, thanks.

> > I’m trying to understand the security impact of this issue. As far as we
> > understand, the key used to encrypt the passphrase before passing it to
> > the daemon is not leaked. Could you confirm that?
>
> Yes, that's the case. We use DH key exchange and encryption when
> communicating passwords between processes for exactly this reason, to
> prevent other processes from snooping on the dialog, or accidental
> leakages in logs, caches, swap memory etc.

OK, so this is really only a matter of having key names and times of
unlocking in the logs, but not keys themselves.

Thanks for the explanations. I’ll upload a fix without a security
advisory, then. You might want to inform other distributions that ship
2.30 (Fedora and Ubuntu come to mind).