Re: gnome-keyring gvfsd-sftp without -daemon on OpenBSD

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 01:47:00PM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 18:52 -0600, Stef Walter wrote:
>
> > But IMO that's an aside to the real issue:
> >
> > I think the reason gvfs-sftp hard codes a call to GetEnvironment is
> > because gvfsd's autostart often gets started before
> > gnome-keyring-daemon's autostart. Therefore it won't have the real
> > SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable needed for openssh to use the
> > agent.
> >
> > Although gnome-keyring-daemon registers its environment variables with
> > org.gnome.SessionManager the gvfsd horse has already left the barn.
>
> Oh, i see. So not autostarting is a bad idea then. The question is then
> what to do if SSH_AUTH_SOCK is already set manually, should we assume
> the user wants to use that instead of gkr?

I think it depends on how distributions/packagers handle this. If by
default an ssh-agent is launched within the session, but the user
doesn't specifically know it and is used to the gkr prompt, this will break.

On the other hand, if the distribution did its job and correctly sets the
SSH_ASKPASS env var, the bare X11 ssh-agent prompt is given to the user if
gkr doesn't run/isn't launched.

Anyway, i doubt the user really know how this stuff works, or maybe
ssh-agent users have to be considered 'advanced' users who know that gkr
also exists, and that its ssh-agent has to be disabled manually. (but
i'm not sure that solves the problem of overriding SSH_AUTH_SOCK)

Landry