Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

<...>

> I stick to my opinion. Good OO design helps *a lot* (and I should enter in
> material example details I don't have prepared if I wanted to explain).
> It's true that corbadizing such an app as XEdit is maybe a completely
> offminded thing :-)

Why?

IMHO all commonly used apps such like text editors must be made as Parts.

Imagine: somebody *loves* vi, and KDE offers him kvi as OpenPart. It means,
that kvi serves to all the other apps  that needs text editor. So, instead of
implementing their own text editors, other programs, such as mail composers or
IDE's simply embeds kvi's views.

It's very cool, because it's much more comfortable to use editor of your
choice everywhere, than to be forced to use 5 different editors in 5 different
apps !

Also it possible to have a "My Favourites" configuration, something like:

My favourite text editor:
	kvi
	kedit
	kwrite
	kemacs
My favourite spell checker:
	kspell
My favourite HTML browser:
	KHTML
	Gecko

and so on. You choose the parts you want, and work with most comfort you can
get from desktop.

Tomas