AppleScript (was: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead)

At 23:14 Uhr +0200 25.05.1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The issue is whether KDE and Gnome apps will export the same
>interface for
> doing the same things. For example, right now we are trying to reverse
> engineer the interface between Excel and its chart component (and not
> getting very far); but anyway, once it's done, it would be nice to share
> that interface between Guppi and KChart.

For some inspiration please have a look at

<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macos8/InterproCom/AppleScriptScripters
/applescriptscripters.html>

There you'll find user/scripter-level docs as well as docs that explain
AppleScript and how to use it to control applications as well as docs
for programmers who want to write AS-savvy applications.

If I'm not mistaken, AppleEvents/AppleScript predate CORBA; put another
way, it's pretty old and it works pretty well. Put yet another way, if
Apple was able to do it like this around 1990, that people know can
surely do even better -- at least I hope so.

Michael