Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>    Why you care so much when a reporter gets me off-guard and asks me
> a question?  It was a mistake to say that, probably.  Then again, that
> is how I felt when I was asked that at that precise moment.

Read this phrase again. And find the misbehaviors.

>    I do not go around life with a Master Plan and a specific Strategy
> toward some bizarre conspiracy.  As far as I am concerned, I am
> working on GNOME to have a good time given that I love to program;
> because I like to learn new things, experiment with them; because I
> love to create new models in which information flows; because I want
> to write GPL software; because I enjoy a lot the companionship of my
> GNOME friends and because I romantically think that we can make a
> better world.

Then if you love these so much, you surely understand that you have to
respect the rights of others to love similar things too. Why do you
concoct in your mind that only your love for programming is right? Don't
ask me why I think you refuse to others those rights. Read your own
interviews and listen to your own conferences.

>    I replied to the reporter with what came to my mind at that point.
> I will in the future have a ready-to-use quote for this sort of
> question.

One most important human quality of a (self-appointed or not) leader is
self-control and sharp-mindedness. If you acknowledge you're missing both,
maybe you should either step down from your leaderships or retrain your
behaviour. You harm your followers.

> The "legacy" GUI was a joke I used for the first time in my Gnumeric
> talk at LinuxExpo.  Boy, you keep a close eye on my actions.  Whoever
> provides you with information about every move I make should include
> in the mail "<miguel-was-giggling> legacy </miguel-was-giggling>".

Jim meets Jane. Jim sort-of (but not completely) likes Jane. Jim tries to
change the way Jane is, but Jane has other friends too and she listens to
her friends and doesn't want to change. Jim is enraged, breaks with Jane
and goes away. Jim creates Helen. Whenever Jim finds himself (with Helen)
in a party, he climbs on a chair and start to yell: "Jane has shit on her
forefront, Helen here is the only real girl in town". Then he steps down
and says: "I was giggling".

Gush. This is ridiculous.

> You have to understand that I love talking to people, and that to me
> humor is a very important part of my life.

Huh! Humour? I was always thinking you're simply attacking KDE. Well, next
time I'll laugh.

Cristian