Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

> and that Gnome developers designed implementations from scratch with
> no thought of compatibility to KDE, this is not a statement I can
> take very seriously.

Then you know little about the history of GNOME and KDE.

You might notice that the .desktop format is similar to the KDE one.
At that time we tried to make the GNOME .desktop files be
interchangeable with the KDE ones.  We failed.  But it was not a
deliberate decision, it was a human mistake.

We did have a DnD protocol called Xde, and it took a long time and a
lot of resources and many weekends for various team members to move
from Xde to Xdnd because it was being pushed by KDE as the DnD
standard for the desktop (and because it was better than Xde too).

Miguel.