Re: KOffice?

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Glenn Mabbutt wrote:

> I've got a question: does KOffice run under (or in) Gnome?  If so, how?
> In Gnome, I see some sort of a KDE sub-menu, but have no idea how it

Theoretically, you should be able. I don't know what versions exactly you
try to use, but KOffice is in no way dependent on KDE being run in its
entirety.

The KDE sub-menu you can see in RH6 is specific to RH (it's built with a
nice menu-building tool, and I think the updating of this menu depends on
using properly built RPMS - but no sure).

> works (installed from Red Hat 6.0 CD - I'll update soon, I think). I
> consulted the User's Guide (at least the one on the Gnome web site) and
> didn't see anything.

Anyways, once you install KOffice, you should be able to create custom
menu entries pointing to the apps members of the suite by using Gnome's
menu editor. Sorry, I didn't use Gnome enough for knowing exactly how to
do.

> Here's my problem: I want to run an app written for Gtk, but I also
> would like to run KOffice and, if possible, make use of some of its
> integrated features.  I know there's GWP and Gnumetric, but I'd like to
> use something integrated and MS Office-like if possible. (Also I
> mentioned the ability to do BOTH to a potential customer, so if I can't,
> my ego will be crushed.)

Your ego should stay intact :-)

Future KDE and Gnome will use common menu entry files formats, and perhaps
will put these files in common places. But until then you'll perhaps have
to wait a few (6-9) months.

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna