Re: Libsigc++ for KDE/Qt

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Karl Nelson wrote:
> Hello, it has been over a month since I last received a reply
> on this subject.  The topic has appeared on LWN and the GNOME
> sites since that time, and yet I have gotten no requests for
> assistance or for the technical information that I have offered
> to provide.  Thus it appears that at least some people in the
> community feel that making the switch would be a good idea.
> Since I have received no requests for changes I will be upping
> libsigc++ to 1.0 as is.  (following the release of gtk-- 1.1.0)
>
> Is there anyone in the KDE side who is evaluating the possiblity
> of using libsigc++ in KDE/Qt?  Is there going to be a developers
> (KDE) version Qt?  (No, Mosfet was not speeking in the context of Harmony
> as Kurt indicated, as I have emails were Mosfet specifically stating Qt
> and not Harmony.  Thus there is obviously still some miscommunication on
> the KDE side.)  And what technical changes are required in libsigc++ for
> KDE use?

Karl, I said that some of the old Harmony people may get together and make
their Harmony work available as QPL patches against Qt, and that would be the
only place I could think of that would be appropriate for this kind of work. I
have no idea if this is going to happen (I kindof doubt it now), and I *never*
said KDE would necessarily use your library.

As of right now we are working hard on KDE2.0 and there is little likelyhood of
us switching our signal mechanism. After KDE2.0 it would be up to you to port
and and show that it benefits real world apps (I spent a significant amount of
time explaining how I think it would not), and is as portable as the QT
mechanism.