Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Ron Marriage wrote:
> Just my opinion.
> Ron

  Hi, and thanks for your opinion!

> Both KDE and Gnome offer seperate and definable differences, goals, and
> in the long run their way of accomplishing those goals.
   Yes, they have differences in their goals (eg, Gnome doesn't want to be
a windowmanager). But there are also a considerable amount of overlap.
And, admittedly or not, both strive to become the de facto desktop
environment for Unix. And there is either no such thing, or only one.
There might be different systems implementing it, though.

> Although everyone will eventually make choices as to which one to choose, we
> would loose a fundamental ability in x-windows if we force the limitation of
> only one GUI.  While it is true that only one will ultimetly win and become a
> standard, both will develope new ideas, methods, applications, and  ideas on how
> to do tasks.
   Agree. But it would be good to have a standard of set of core functions
what both accept. Like common cut'n'paste, drag'n'drop, mime type
handling, to name but a few.

> The final GUI as you say will most likely become a combination of the best of
> both, but it is way too early to cast aside either project for a single effort
> now.
   But maybe defining such common approaches in the early stages is less
costly than later.

  Let's be happy that we have both, and more happy as they work together
more and more!

  Adam.