Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

Gleef wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
> > Gleef wrote:
> > > Proper Corba apps should be friends, but my understanding is that both
> > > Baboon and KOM make assumptions above and beyond the raw Corba spec,
> > > making them trickier to integrate.  Mico and ORBit should talk to each
> > > other fine though.
> >
> > Tsk, Tsk, So neither set are proper Corba apps ?  Can they be "fixed" or
> > at least bindings written so that apps written to KOM will play nice
> > with apps written to Baboon ?
>
> I dunno, we've reached the frontier of my knowledge of the object model
> for both projects.
>
> > > What mechanism does KDE's control center use to switch languages?  Since
> > > both are using gettext, I would think that works already.  Can you give
> > > more detail to the problem you're having?
> >
> > I am not having any problems.  I just haven't tried using Gnome apps
> > ( the sight of all those libs on 2 different FTP sites scared me
> > speechless ).  Do they both respond to the same "switch to language X
> > command ?
>
> Well, they should both respond to the same LANG environment variable that
> gettext uses.  Assuming KDE's language switching command sets that, they
> both will follow suit, along with any non-GNOME non-KDE gettext programs.

KDE is a little more complex than anything the Lang variable could
handle
by itself.  I.e. It lets you choose second and 3rd choice Languages.

The benefit is that if an app you want to use is not translated into
your
native language you could still use it in the foreign language with
which
you are most familiar.  I.e. Most of the KDE teem set the native lang as
default with english as second place and any other foreign language they
can
get around in 3rd.