Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> George Russell wrote:
> [tons snipped]
> > Could be time to form a group to consider this and come up with
> > specifications.  Like the LSB but limited to GUI interface standards for
> > linux ( a super or a subset of KDE/GNOME standards as necessary)
>
> Well, all in all, your post was reasonable... but I *completely* disagree
> with this.  What is needed is for somebody or group of somebodies to
> sit down and CODE some commonalities.  If, for instance, KDE themes become
> a reality (not kwm themes, btw, I'm talking about "styles", as Troll calls
> thems), then all somebody would have to do is define a way to change
> BOTH the KDE and GNOME themes at the same time to the exact same look
> AND do the initial coding for it and it will become the standard.

  Here we see: pragmatism vs. idealism in action :)

  About themes/styles: they are very widget-dependent, so I see it
difficult to accomplish common themes. But maybe that's not so important,
it would be more important to have common file types binding, application
bindings, menu handling, cut'n'paste, or even drag'n'drop between KDE and
Gnome applications.

> Groups can talk until they are blue in the face (or write email until
> their fingers are sore) but almost never accomplish anything.  "If you
> code it, they will come"

  You think so? My fingers begin to hurt...
  All right, I'll start a common Config object righ now :)

  cheers,
    /Adam/

  arotaru@cs.sfu.ca   http://www.sfu.ca/~arotaru/adam.html