Re: Working together

At 01:03 AM 4/14/98 +0200, Christian Esken wrote:

>Drag and drop is problematic. XDND has been developed jointly by
>prominent persons from the net: Elliot Lee from RedHat and Arnt
>Gulbrandsen from TrollTech were involved. KDE will use XDND in
>the future, Gnome will use their own scheme (if I am not  mistaken).

Elliot Lee wrote the dnd mechanism for gtk+ (the GNOME's toolkit) as well.
Although it is supposed to be more featureful than previous efforts, it
does not work well, when at all. Not to complain, though. I know how it is
to have a full plate. :)  IIRC, GNOME is stuck with the current setup until
after the release of gtk+ 1.0 (RSN), and then Mr. Lee is going to rewrite
the dnd mechanism for 1.1.

>HTML is a very decent help file format. KDE uses it. I heread even
>M$ thinks about using it in the future.  Does Gnome use HTML, too?

GNOME is using DocBook to write our stuff, but once installed, the help
files are html. And they (what little there is right now) works fine in
kdehelp so far. The kde help files that I have seen also look fine in
gnome-help-browser.
I think everyone is going to stick with html for a while, especially since
gtkMozilla and KScape(?) are right around the corner. :)

M.Watson redline@pdq.net
Can't care less what M$ uses...