Re: Working together

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 Julian Regel wrote:
>Hi.
>
> Although this list seems pretty quiet, and a C/C++ religious war
>probably won't improve things, the idea of having the two projects
>working together is excellent! Kudos to the GNOME team for initiating
>such an effort.
>
> I am a user. I don't really care about languages, toolkits or
>licensing issues. I'm looking to get a standard GUI for my Linux
>desktop. If we want Linux to become a mainstream OS you need to
>target people like me :-)  At the moment I'm running with KDE which I
>like very much. It's really impressed my "Windows-based" collegues at
>work! I haven't tried any GNOME programs yet as it seems to be still
>early in development (that's not a criticism, just an observation),
>but probably will in the future.
>
> This seems to be the perfect place to ask some questions on what the
>different groups are working on... :-) Hope no-one minds.
>
>1) Will KDE and GNOME apps be indistiguishable? Will cut and paste
>work between K apps and G apps (for text, graphics, audio, [files?],
>how about drag and drop, object linking and embedding?

Drag and drop is problematic. XDND has been developed jointly by
prominent persons from the net: Elliot Lee from RedHat and Arnt
Gulbrandsen from TrollTech were involved. KDE will use XDND in
the future, Gnome will use their own scheme (if I am not  mistaken).

>4) What about application features such as help file formats, menu
>layout, draggable toolbars, themes, dialog box messages and errors
>etc etc? Will these work the same way under KDE and GNOME?

HTML is a very decent help file format. KDE uses it. I heread even
M$ thinks about using it in the future.  Does Gnome use HTML, too?

Bye,
  Chris

--
Christian Esken                        (chris@wallace.ping.de)