Re: Has GNOME-Journal Died?

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 12:06 -0400, Jayson Rowe wrote:
> So, what's going on? It's been 9 months or so since a new article was
> posted. I am willing to help - I'd hate to see this die away, and I
> would love to see it far more active (as it once was). I used to love to
> read the "Behind the Scenes" series, and I would love to see this
> revived, and be far more extensive and popular than KDE's "Behind KDE"
> page.

Yes, we aren't died more like floundering.  Most of us old-timers are
busy with work or school and their pet projects.  There is plenty of
things tow write but I'm fairly exhausted doing school work and work
that I don't have the motivation to write articles.  I've been primarily
been an article writer rather than an editor.  The frame work is in
place, but we don't have new article writers.

> What can I do to help? I'm willing to do anything. I'm 100% about
> promoting GNOME, as well as giving insights into the GNOME developers
> and contributers, delivering GNOME News to the community as well as
> showing off coming GNOME Projects and applications.

We need more people like you, frankly. :-)  People who are interested in
writing and can write about things.  I can help anybody who is
interested in writing something or don't know what to write about.  I
have plenty of ideas.  We need warm bodies!

> I would love to see GNOME Journal be a "go-to" place for folks to come
> and read about GNOME, but too me, it seems it's just dying away, slowly
> but surely. I know everything is done by volunteers, and that we all
> have real-life, but I'm willing to give up some of my free time to make
> this happen.

my free time beccomes a lot next year. :-)  I don't want the project die
either, and it won't.  There is always a need for this kind of thing.
The marketing list wanted someone to do summaries, but as I noted there,
there just isn't a pool of talent for that.  Recruitment is a good start
in getting this project back in shape as well as writing.  Generating a
momentum is what is needed.  Maybe I can help out there.  I used to
bully people into writing articles.  Perhaps I can do this again.

> I've volunteered to help several times in the past but I haven't ever
> gotten any real direction on where to go, or what to do.

Yet you're hanging in there.  THat's dedication!  Yes, perhaps a better
structure is required.  Kevin and I discussed this many times and we'ev
done some littel things like putting in a schedule in teh wiki and on
GNOME Calendar.  I have put out ideas.. I don't know.

I can commit after next week writing something..  I have a month off of
school so I shouldn't have any excuses. :-)

sri
--
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>