Re: Article On GConf

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:45 +0200, natan yellin wrote:

> > Before we begin, there are a few details about GConf that are worth
> > noting:
> > • GConf should not be used for crucial application settings (e.g. an
> > address book's contacts). It should only be used for user
> > preferences ( e.g. the address book's font).
> > • The GConf database is not guaranteed to be constantly running. As
> > we'll see later on, values fetched from GConf should be checked to
> > make sure that they exist.
> > • GConf values are (by definition) user writable. Applications
> > should verify data stored in GConf when necessary.
> > • GConf auto-applies settings. In other words, when a setting
> > changes, the change applies immediately without waiting for the user
> > to press an "apply" button.
> > • GConfClient wraps the GConfEngine functions in a friendlier object
> > that descends from GObject. For the most part, you won't want to use
> > GConfEngine directly.
> > • GConf uses the Model View Controller (MVC) programming model. If
> > you provide a preferences window to change settings, it should
> > simply set the gconf keys and not update your app's settings
> > directly. In other words, you should never do the following:
> > gconf_client_set(client, key, value);
> > application_update_to_reflect_setting();
> > You should always do something like: /* At application startup */
> > gconf_client_notify_add(client, key,
> > application_update_to_reflect_setting, data);

So one thing can we make sure that these rules are correct?  Some note
from the maintainer or quote from some documentation?  These all look
good, but I just want to make sure that that it is true (eg fact check).
Of course we can always issue a correction later.  But I know that I
made some factual errors when I released my article and got burned for
it.  So I speak from some experience. ;)

sri

--
Sriram Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>