Re: Infrastructure | Move https://gitlab.gnome.org/ole/gnome-radio-040 to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-radio (#731)

Title: GitLab

Ole Aamot commented on a discussion:

I have written the code - working code under GNOME 41. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/ole/gnome-radio-14.git

That's great to hear. Usually branches and release tags are used for newer version, not new repos.

The new repo is necessary for the community effort. Since it is more difficult to find it in a private repo, I would like to move it to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-radio as a GNOME community application with prospects of inclusion in Circle in 1-2 years.

If you don't think it is worthwhile to work on Radio, please explain why Radio is not a useful application.

Nobody ever said so and nobody ever stated it's not useful. So I guess there is nothing to explain.

OK.

No, I have no questions to answer for.

That's your free choice, however that also means valid questions like "Is there some reason you don't feel Circle/ would be sufficient?" will remain unanswered.

Circle requires a Flatpak build and does not permit GNOME in the name.

  1. I don't have the hardware necessary to build Flatpak.
  2. I don't have any plans to change the name from GNOME Radio.

Since there is no interest to work on Radio in the community

Previously in #731 (comment 1321669) you wrote "so the community can help build the Radio app for GNOME 42." Contradictory statements make it harder to follow lines of thoughts.

If the community can clone the application from a repo under the GNOME community tree, they are welcome to do edits and changes as it is in the hands of the public community, which is opposite when it is in a private repository controlled and deletable by one single person.

I try to get the message across in the followup message. Now please move along and do the necessary change. The application is not yet ready for GNOME Circle, but perhaps if I can allocate money to configure and build Flatpak on a new computer, it will be valid for inclusion, but not yet.

Therefore https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-radio.git is the correct place to put this application for now.

I am short of food, so bear with me.