Re: Infrastructure | Run CI containers with --cap-add SYS_PTRACE (#370)

Title: GitLab

Michael Catanzaro commented:

I find it hard to believe you don't know security implications of granting SYS_PTRACE to CI which runs completely arbitrary loads, not to mention runners no longer run with --privileged after it was reported it breaks glib test suite as well.

Honestly, I don't tbh. I know that in Fedora, ptrace of your own processes works by default, whereas ptrace of other users' processes requires sudo (for CAP_SYS_PTRACE). asan only wants to ptrace its own processes, which seems like it should be safe to do without any special capabilities, but doesn't work on our CI (I assume because it uses docker)? I don't know why docker blocks it, though. Are there special considerations inside containers?

I do know this used to work fine until a couple months ago.

We likely can provide a burner VM with odd CAPs applied but I wish your request wasn't written in such a disheartening way in the first place.

So my plan is to propose a GNOME initiative to add asan CI to every core module that uses C or C++, since asan is important to be confident in the security of our code. That's hard to propose when it means no more CI for external contributors, though.

Honestly, I don't understand your concern with the tone of my issue report, but I didn't intend it to be mean. I think everyone really appreciates your work. :)