Re: [gnome.org #14133] Commit hook to check for i18n errors seems to be down

On Mon Feb 03 15:42:58 2014, kelemeng gnome hu wrote:
Hi

I have just committed a syntactically broken hu.po into shotwell, and
the git hook that is supposed to catch such errors let me to push it
into the repository. This had the potential to break the build.

Commit that fixed the breakage:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/shotwell/commit/po/hu.po?id=28e3f663186d5a4dbfc317fa80e4d7e29a0179f0

(look at #: ../src/Dialogs.vala:738 and the next string
Dialogs.vala:755 )

Is it possible that the hook does not work? Can it be restored?

The hook was never removed or touched and the pre-receive hook is configured to make use of the following
script [1], what I did to test this wasn't an issue on our side:

git clone git://git.gnome.org/shotwell.git
git reset --hard HEAD~2 (this reverted us back to the state of the git repository right after you committed
the errors on the po file)
msgfmt -o log hu.po && echo $? --> returned 0, success

Okay, so that's normal. I'm always using it this way:

gabor gabor-laptop:~/src/gnome/shotwell$ git reset --hard HEAD~2
HEAD is now at 6a354de Updated Hungarian translation
gabor gabor-laptop:~/src/gnome/shotwell$ msgfmt -cvo /dev/null po/hu.po
po/hu.po:1635: number of format specifications in 'msgid_plural' and
'msgstr[1]' does not match
po/hu.po:1642: number of format specifications in 'msgid_plural' and
'msgstr[1]' does not match
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors
948 translated messages.

So the -c is the difference.
I got a little scared because Damned-lies told me that the file fails
the validation and is not updated. So it seems to be more strict than
the hook.
I guess then msgfmt needs to be corrected to not freak out because of
such errors, because they are apparently not that fatal :).

Please close this ticket, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen