Re: OSTree hosting

Le vendredi 27 janvier 2012, à 14:17 -0500, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 11:13 -0800, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>
> > Perhaps naiive question, "Could many of these problems be solved by a
> > GNOME hosted version of the OpenSUSE build service?"
>
> No, because RPM doesn't have the essential property that jhbuild and
> OSTree that it *parallel installs* inside your existing distribution.
> You don't need to wipe/endanger your "stable" distribution to use
> OSTree.

Just to clarify: you can use the Open Build Service to build non-rpm
stuff, and you can add some backend to support some exotic new ways.

Whether it could be used to build things the way Colin has designed
OSTree is something I don't know. It might not be able to support other
features Colin has in mind, though (either because it's, well, "just" a
build service, or because it's really not compatible by design).

I'm sure OBS could be used to do something amazing for GNOME, but until
someone does the work, nothing is going to happen there ;-)

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.