Re: proposed postfix changes

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:54:41AM -0400, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>> Postgrey is currently in use by the linux kernel mailing list. Chances
>> are it will scale to gnome levels :)
>
> Ah, I thought this was that initial example one that tented to behave
> badly after a while. If there is some RHEL5 package, we get this in
> Puppet plus we can train the greylisting for a few days then I am all
> for it.

So lets start off with good job christer for starting this ball
rolling. Here are a few deliverables and some possible steps to move
forward. Please chime in with your thoughts positive OR negative.

You (Olav) mentioned sometime ago that the spamassassin rules updating
cronjob was broken or needed some attention. It looks like
/etc/cron.d/sa-update is simply commented out. From reading the
spamassassin docs it seems the only real "downside" is that it will
overwrite existing rules. I'll backup the existing rules and run it
manually to see if everything still works ok. If mail still flows fine
and there are dramatically more false positives, we can enable the
cronjob. In other distributions, this cronjob is actually enabled by
default.

I'll backport the Fedora version of postgrey to EL5 and throw it in
the gnome yum repos. We can create a puppet module for it to be
installed and all happy-like. Christer is willing to set it up and we
will all carefully watch it. If it starts eating mail we'll revert it
all.

Chances are, that will cut down a lot of the spam we're getting to
gnome email. If not, we can look into the more postfix specific
filtering suggested at the start of this thread. Perhaps it is wrong
to say it, but if people are using crappy mail clients, they should
change them. The majority of users shouldn't have to submit to more
spam because a small minority of users use buggy clients such as
Outlook. In the end, it does more harm than good as gnome
infrastructure is seen as ill maintained and full of spam.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com