Re: Receiving objects: 44% (121381/272167), 124.05 MiB | 78 KiB/s

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 17:37 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> From University of Toronto network, git.gnome.org and svn.gnome.org look
> identical, with git.kernel.org being 60% faster.  Next question is, whether /
> how much the ping time is relevant to the throughput.

Very small correlation, I think. As I mentioned yesterday, I am able to
get more than decent download speeds on a connection with a 160ms ping
time to git.gnome.org.

If anybody wants to try http download speeds, there's a 7.7MB file

 http://www.gnome.org/~otaylor/shell-20090312-2.ogg

That we were testing with earlier. Indications were that download speeds
for that were very similar to reported git download speeds. (Be careful
about transparent caching proxies for HTTP, of course)

- Owen